Sunday, February 19, 2017

THE TEST

A self-righteous Jewish lawyer and teacher of the Law of Moses wants to "test" (sic) Jesus. He asks Jesus how one might receive eternal life. To this Jesus replies, "You're the expert, you tell me." The smug lawyer says, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind…Love your neighbor as yourself." Jesus then says, "Do that and you will receive eternal life."  The expert lawyer replies, "Who is my neighbor?" (Luke 10:25-29)

Really? A man of his intellect and expertise has never thought about that?

To answer the smug lawyer's question Jesus tells a story about a traveler who is attacked by bandits, beaten, robbed and left for dead (Luke 10:29-37). A Jewish priest sees the man, crosses the street and passes by him. A temple servant sees the man, looks him over, crosses the street and passes by him. Last, a hated Samaritan sees the man and has "COMPASSION." He bandaged the man's wounds, put him on his own donkey and took him out of harms way to an inn. There he continued ministry to the man. The next day the Samaritan left the man in the care of the innkeeper. He paid his bill and promised to pay more if it was needed. Jesus stoped there and asked the Jewish lawyer, "Who was the neighbor?" 

Jesus is really not answering the lawyer's question. He is asking his own. 

The lawyer answers Jesus' question as we all would, or should. The neighbor is the one who helps; the one who shows compassion for others irregardless of race, creed or religion. The neighbor is the one who will go above and beyond the norm to help. The lawyer's view of neighboring seems to have been NOT, "Who can I help" but, "Who would help me?" That is "The Test." The lawyer, as one who supposedly loved God, should have been asking, "What kind of neighbor am I?" 

If we really love God with all our heart, soul, strength and mind, then we would NOT be asking, "Who is my neighbor," BUT "Who can I serve?" "What kind of neighbor am I?" It's interesting that the lawyer didn't ask Jesus how he could love God more. Although, the answer might be (I think), by showing compassion for others no matter their status, education or religious views.

We talk about the indifferent priest and temple servant. We talk about the compassionate "Good Samaritan." We talk about being kind to others and showing compassion. All important truths. But what we seem to miss in this discussion is that the lack of compassion for others likely reveals a lack of genuine love for God - heart, soul, strength and mind. 

The lawyer was probably incensed that Jesus used two Jewish guys in his story and compared them to a HATED Samaritan; that the two Jews were the dis-compassionate ones. What he didn't get was that he was like them. He viewed being neighborly as someone who helps "me." He failed "The Test." What he didn't get was that their (and our) dis-compassionate, selfish examples reveal a much deeper problem - No genuine love of God with heart, soul, strength, and mind. 

"The Test": If I genuinely love the Lord with all my heart, soul, strength and mind, then, yes, I will be the neighbor who shows compassion toward others, even those considered hated and despicable. The test question for me is not, "Who is my neighbor?" "Who will help me?" The test question I must ask myself is, "What kind of neighbor am I?" "Who can I serve unconditionally?" That will also reveal to me a lot about the depth of my love for God. 

Lord, I pray that what I see in my life as compassionate service to others will reveal a passionate love for you. If my compassion is lacking, then Lord, give me a heart that is hot for you.

No comments: